super lawyer
banner images

Parental Relocation And Child Custody Law In New Jersey

Parental Relocation And Child CustodyRelocation of a custodial parent following divorce can be an emotional issue. It is also an issue that is increasingly common in our mobile society.At the Law Office of Stephen D. Williams in Flemington, New Jersey, we represent both custodial parents who want to move as well as parents with visitation rights who are opposed to the move. Contact Flemington family law attorney Stephen D. Williams to discuss your case.

When Can A Custodial Parent Move?

In New Jersey, a custodial parent needs permission from the court to move out of state if the other parent objects to the move. The court does not have the power to prevent a custodial parent from moving. However, it can prevent a parent from moving a child outside of the state.

The court will base all child custody decisions on the best interests of the child. Therefore, the court will want to know why the custodial parent is seeking to move and how the move will affect the child.

If the custodial parent has a good reason for the move — such as for employment or to be closer to family members — it may be difficult to prevent him or her from moving. However, the noncustodial parent can seek modifications to visitation and support orders due to the relocation. Examples of changes include:

    • Longer visits during school and summer breaks
    • Support modifications to cover travel expenses for visitation
  • Virtual visitation using Skype or FaceTime

Contact A Child Relocation Lawyer In Hunterdon County

To schedule a consultation with an experienced Flemington family law attorney, contact the Law Office of Stephen D. Williams at 908-284-0074.

Contact Us For More Information

Talk to an Attorney

70 Church St., Suite 138, Flemington, NJ 08822| (908) 284-0074
Copyright © 2022 Law Office of Stephen D. Williams. All rights reserved. | Disclaimer | Sitemap

Website Design For Lawyers by lfs-logo